Let’s face it: everyone is after efficient and proven methods for carpet and rug cleaning. After all, investing too much time in ineffective cleaning is less than desirable and nobody likes to waste their time like that.
For this reason it is wise to research effective methods for rug cleaning, as that guarantees you don’t spend hours in backbreaking work and you are able to address any frustrating issue with your carpet. There is much you can learn in that regard and you will do well to get educated on the following hacks. Start today - implement these changes to your home cleaning routine and you will see an immediate difference:
- Freshen up your carpets with baking soda and essential oils - it is possible to make your carpet smell so good, that you will feel like you are in a field of fruit trees every time you walk by. You can do so by mixing 16 ounces of baking soda with 10 to 20 drops of the essential oil that you prefer. Mix it up till the oil drops are fully absorbed by the baking soda and you are done. The next time you want to introduce some freshness to your carpet, simply shake some of the baking soda on the carpet, let it sit for a few minutes and then vacuum. Simple and effective!
- Stain removal through ironing - removing stains with an iron may sound like a bad idea, but it is actually a very effective technique that many people use to great success. The first thing you need to do is good old carpet cleaning by vacuuming to remove particles and debris. Next, dampen a towel with one part vinegar/three parts water mix. Place the damp towel on the stain and iron it. You will notice the stain lifting into the towel. Such a technique is easy and doesn’t require much effort.
- Properly cleaning shag carpets - they make for an interesting part of the interior, but are a real nightmare to clean. The main problem with shag carpets and rugs is that vacuum cleaners with too much suction can easily damage the fibres. Instead, you should use the hose attachment, even though this takes longer to get the job done. At least you know it is a safer carpet cleaning method, although a bit slow one.
- Make your own deep clean solution - if you want to rid your carpet from dust mites and various allergens lurking there, you can resort to a proven green formula and create your own solution for the task. Here is what you need: a quarter cup white vinegar, ¾ cup hydrogen peroxide, 5 drops of your favourite essential oil, 2 tbsp dish soap, 2 tbsp fabric softener and a gallon of hot water. Use that for your carpet cleaning machine and you will have yourself a fine solution to get the job done, without introducing dangerous chemicals.
- Fluffing technique - if there is an area of your carpet that looks squashed and flattened, you can easily fix it by spraying a mix of equal parts water and vinegar. Blot up the area and run a spoon over the area to fluff up the carpet fibres and straighten them up. Another technique features melting an ice cube on a dented area of your carpet (such as one pressed by heavy furniture). Blot the area with a clean cloth and use the same ironing technique described above for stain removal. When the spot is completely dry, fluff up the fibres with your hands.
- Use Hydrogen peroxide for tough stains - hydrogen peroxide makes for an effective stain removal. Just saturate the stain with hydrogen peroxide and let it sit for a few minutes. Then use a damp cloth to blot the stain. In case of a particularly stubborn stain, you may have to repeat this several times. Chances are even tough stains will disappear after a few tries. You don’t need harsh chemicals to get this done.
Feel free to use all of these hacks the next time you are involved in carpet cleaning. You will see just how much of a difference they make!